Re: 25+2 packages with (Glade) generated C source files without the source

su, 2008-09-07 kello 19:29 +0100, Ian Jackson kirjoitti:
> I would say that _at the time when these projects were first shipped_
> in this state, it _was_ a clear violation (both of our principles and
> of the GPL) to do so.

As far as I understand, when most of those projects first shipped, the C
files really were the source. It is true that the C files were initially
generated by glade, but they were then subsequently modified by hand.
Having the original .glade file would mean that you could re-generate
the C sources, but then all your manual modifications to them were lost.
As a result, the hand-modified C files were the preferred form of
modification. Indeed, some people did not ever save the .glade file,
they just used glade to generate a skeleton application.

(This has been said already, but bears repeating: All right-thinking
developers switched to not generating code from glade, but load
the .glade file at application run time instead, originally using
libglade, but that's now been incorporated into gtk proper.)