Re: Upcoming changes to supported architectures

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008, Bastian Blank wrote:
> There is some. IBM likes to add new op-codes to every processor release
> and with a higher minimum supported type they can be used. They often
> provide a speed benefit. Also the instruction format is identical
> between the 31 and 64bit code. I would like to use multiarch, but this
> is still not ready.

 Can't you simply raise the port's requirement, just like we dropped
 support for i386 in i386?

 I think it would be a sensible thing to do if a large protion of the
 port's user have newer hardware than the oldest that the port supports,
 but I have no idea whether this is the case.

--
Loïc Minier