Re: Upcoming changes to supported architectures

Why do I see a deja-vue? I think we had this already some years ago.

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 10:25:38PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> So the current architectures I see wishlist bugs for on ftp.d.o are s390x,
> sh[34]{,eb}, netbsd-i386, and kfreebsd-{i386,amd64}.

The sh* ports are not dead? I've not seen anything from them for years.
Also from the kernel point of view, there are sh2, 3, 4 and 5, the
first three as both little and big endian. And when it goes for the
compiler it only gets worse, it lists 23 multilib variants.

> Doesn't s390x have the same problem as sparc64, where it's not actually
> beneficial to build the whole system for this target?

There is some. IBM likes to add new op-codes to every processor release
and with a higher minimum supported type they can be used. They often
provide a speed benefit. Also the instruction format is identical
between the 31 and 64bit code. I would like to use multiarch, but this
is still not ready.

Bastian

--
History tends to exaggerate.
		-- Col. Green, "The Savage Curtain", stardate 5906.4