Re: A tool for tracking masked updates to stable packages

Marcin Owsiany wrote:
> I've just started to do research in order to write a tool which I was
> always missing. What I have so far is just a brief "background"
> information, explaining the problem - see below.

I agree that this is a missing feature ATM: to be able to see at a glance
which packages did not come from the regular repository or have newer
versions than available from registered repositories.

However, I would actually prefer this to be integrated in the regular
package management frontends (e.g. aptitude) rather than a separate tool.

If the source of the package is in /etc/apt/sources.list, it should be
trivial to create a new view and/or informational fields that show where
an installed version comes from: regular archive, security, volatile,
external archive. Or, if there are no matches to show it as locally
installed.

If there are multiple potential sources some kind of ordering may be
needed [1] as may handling of CD sets.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] 'apt-cache policy <package>' essentially already does ordering