Re: Bits from the Debian Eee PC team, summer 2008

Am Dienstag, 5. August 2008 schrieb jaromil:
> re all,

Hi jaromil,
> On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 06:36:14PM +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> > Eh, yes, but kernel-module "ath5k" is still buggy (Bug #1542: cannot
> > get an IP with dhcp) now for almost half a year - and no one seem to
> > care.
>
> i can confirm this is no  longer the case.  ath5k works, you can refer
> to Jeff  Moe's development on freeeee, rpms published at:

Oh, cool ! I will test it and then close the Bug. Great stuff !!!
Thanks for the advice !
> http://www.freeeee.org/i386/RPMS.FREEEEE/
>
> > So I  think, its  is not  quite a good  idea, to  use "ath5k"  on an
> > installation media, especially for non experienced users.
>
> it is  not about an  "idea", but about  using or not free  software: i
> think debian developers  are so concerned about such  policy that this
> cannot even be a debate.

Yes, I am strictly confirming it. FOSS should always be chosen, whenever it is
available ! This is the main reason, why I chose the Debian distribution for
myself: There is no commercial distributor behind Debian (like Redhat, SuSE,
Mandriva or Ubuntu). It is real free - the last bastion !

> ciao
>
> --
>   Jaromil, dyne.org developer, http://jaromil.dyne.org
>
> GPG: 779F E8B5 47C7 3A89 4112  64D0 7B64 3184 [ B534 0B5E ]

Cheers

Hans