Re: confusion about non-free (Re: Bits from the Debian Eee PC team, summer 2008)

Robert Millan wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 03:18:24PM +0200, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
>> : Origin: Debian
>> : Label: Debian
>> : Suite: testing
>> : Codename: lenny
>> : Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 08:39:59 UTC
>> : Architectures: alpha amd64 arm armel hppa i386 ia64 mips mipsel
>> powerpc s390 sparc
>> : Components: main contrib non-free
>>
>> So lenny is made from main (Debian), contrib and non-free.
>
> Therefore Lenny is not Debian, but a superset of it?
>
> This is troubling.  Do you have any suggestions on how to address this?

It is complex :-(

Debian is a distribution ("Origin" in dak terminology), which
has some distributions (stable, testing, unstable; "Suite" in dak
terminology, sometime named "archive" on apt).
But "Debian GNU/Linux distribution: build from the main category"
(note that "category" sometime is named "segment" or "area" or
"component") so we have an additional definition for distribution
and for Debian.

There are so many overloaded terms in Debian. So I agree
that it is confusing.

How to address? It is simple! Ask to the relevant people.
The original case was about "lenny" release/installation.
So ask to RM or d-i what lenny means on these groups (teams
or cabals or mailing-list or roles or ...)

;-)

ciao
    cate