Re: Available papersizes vs. default papersizes

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 18:44 +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
<snip>
> Therefore I asked upstream whether they'd be willing to add more paper
> sizes, and they said they would accept patches. However, they also said
> that they didn't want to bloat the code with information about paper
> sizes which no one will ever use as a system-wide default paper.

Why does this need to be in code?  So long as you only care about
rectangular sizes, it seems like it would be trivial to implement a
configuration file syntax for specifying sizes.  Then that would be easy
to extend without "bloat".

> On the upstream list, the discussion which papers would make sense as a
> system-wide default paper did not lead anywhere. Some said that only
> a4paper and letter make sense (my question whether asian or african
> countries use nothing else stayed unanswered).

Asian and African countries may use other sizes, but if printers don't
support them then we don't have to be worry about them.  A4 and related
sizes are part of an ISO standard, not just European - still, some might
want other ISO sizes like A3 as a default.

<snip>
> Some argued that every
> paper which can be fed to a printer on the market might be used as
> default size on a particular system.

Well, why not?

Ben.

--