Available papersizes vs. default papersizes

Hi all,

I would like to solve a long-standing bug and finally make TeX aware of
libpaper and its system-wide paper size setting. In a way, upstream's
configuration scripts already provide most of the infrastructure needed.
However, taking the intersection of paper sizes the different program's
configuration files accept as default, I end up with a4paper and letter.

Therefore I asked upstream whether they'd be willing to add more paper
sizes, and they said they would accept patches. However, they also said
that they didn't want to bloat the code with information about paper
sizes which no one will ever use as a system-wide default paper.

On the upstream list, the discussion which papers would make sense as a
system-wide default paper did not lead anywhere. Some said that only
a4paper and letter make sense (my question whether asian or african
countries use nothing else stayed unanswered). Some argued that every
paper which can be fed to a printer on the market might be used as
default size on a particular system.

Do you have any suggestions?

Regards, Frank

--