Re: Non-free question regarding upstream releasing different binary-only tarballs for different architectures

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 08:36:55PM +0100, Martin Meredith wrote:
> I'm also pretty sure that the licence doesn't let me do a
> "tarball-in-tarball" thing (orig.tar.gz has to stay the same)

I think you mean the following:
| b.  The RAR/WinRAR unregistered trial version may not be distributed
|     inside of any other software package without written permission
|     of the copyright owner.

I don't think a tar qualifies as "software package".

[Comments about 5.c) snipped]

Also you think that repacking the binaries is allowed, so why should it
be not allowed to repack the two tar files into one?

Please note that the copyright file is wrong, http://www.rarlab.com/rar/
is not the download location, it only produces an error. The correct one
seems to be http://rarlab.com/download.htm.

Bastian

--
Love sometimes expresses itself in sacrifice.
		-- Kirk, "Metamorphosis", stardate 3220.3