Re: "cupsys" renamed to "cups", please adjust your (build-)depends

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 03:07:02PM +0200, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
* Steve Greenland <steveg@moregruel.net> [080612 19:01]:
Isn't the whole point of having cups-bsd etc. to provide replacement
commands that are compatible with older tools?

Well, from my view lpr, lprm, lpc, lpq are the new tools while lp,
cancel, lpstat are the compatibility links for tools coming from sysv.

My experience over eight years of using GNU/Linux distributions is that
programs that don't have native support for a printing implementation
tend to use lpr and friends (the BSD tools) rather than the SysV tools.
I recall seeing lpr as a printing command numerous times, and lp only
once[0].  It appears that at least in GNU/Linux history, the BSD tools
are more prevalent.

Of course, many programs nowadays support CUPS natively through their
desktop environments, so this becomes almost moot.

[0] My first thought on seeing lp was that someone had made a typo.
+1 713 440 7475 | http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc | My opinion only
troff on top of XML: http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc/code/thwack