Re: How to handle Debian patches

On Fri, 16 May 2008 23:27:03 +0300, George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> said:

> On Friday 16 May 2008, Joey Hess wrote:
>> Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>> > I totally agree that we need to make our changes more visible. In
>> > the openssl case, the patch in question is inside the .diff.gz and
>> > you don't notice it in the unpacked source package. I tend to give
>> > a look to what's in debian/patches/ when I rebuild a package but
>> > not to what's in .diff.gz only.
>> >
>> > To me this one proof more than even when VCS are used to maintain
>> > packages, our source packages must clearly identify the Debian
>> > patches that are applied.
>>
>> You're insinuatiog that a VCS does not allow easily browsing and
>> examining patches, and I just don't buy it.

> This is true, but not always handy. What you might buy is that the
> upstream or resp. debian user is not supposed to know for your kind of
> VCS (having it installed, etc) and where to find your VCS repo -- a

        I find this to be true for quilt too. How does one extract what
 the 057th patch does, without examining all the leading patches up to
 that point? Linearizing features and intermixing integration changes
 along with feature-sets  is something I have always found confusing.

> ftp'ing of diff.gz or apt-get source pkg should be enough to get the
> *clearly identified patches* to the upstream source tree.

        I find a quilt series to not fit the bill very well. On the
 other hand, creating ./debian/topics/foo/  with a git-format-patch
 series for each branch in there might be doable -- but then, these
 individual patches might not apply cleanly over each other.

        manoj
--
Life is a series of rude awakenings. R.V. Winkle