Re: mentors.debian.ORG?

On 11348 March 1977, Christoph Haas wrote:

>> One problem with hosting it on a debian.org machine is that this might
>> include software not checked by an ftpmaster/assistant, which might very
>> well be undistributable by Debian. Which is a *BAD* thing to do on a
>> debian host. IMO not very likely to get on such a host.
> The focus of mentors.debian.net is to host source packages that are
> supposed to be sponsored. So it's not some weird multiverse non-free
> binary warez repository or something. That doesn't ensure that some
> packages being uploaded can't be redistributed of course. But the same
> might happen with packages uploaded to ftp-master to be checked by the
> FTP team.

Thats the reason why NEW packages aren't visible to anyone except
ftpteam members.

>> Are you hardcoded to your solution? I wouldn't have a problem if we go
>> and merge this into dak.ganneff.de
> Honestly dak scares me a lot.

Its pretty simple.

> and social interaction. Besides it's doing QA tasks that I didn't see
> in dak. I just don't think this is where dak is heading. If I think of
> REVU and PPAs... that's not dak-like at all. And have I mentioned that
> dak scares me? :)

dak is simple. Really.
Also, you wouldnt have to do the setup.

>> *Of* course that would work with dak as the background software
>> then... Depending on the extras mentors might need it should be doable
>> by additions to the dak code.
> I may need a glass of Chiraz and the "use the source, Luke" method. But
> I'm not really convinced that dak is what I want for this purpose.

Well. I don't think you will get onto a debian.org machine in the near
(or distant) future. I offer you a way out, but it needs dak. :)

Now, what does mentors do that dak doesnt? It might be interesting to
get that into dak too.

--
bye, Joerg
Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind.