Re: RFH: How to debug FTBFS of erlang on sparc (UltraSPARC III)?

On 1/8/08, brian m. carlson <sandals@crustytoothpaste.ath.cx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 12:53:36AM +0300, Sergei Golovan wrote:
> >Hi!
> >
> >After lebrun (which run on UltraSPARC III) became a sparc buildd host,
> >erlang package started to FTBFS on sparc. Logs are available at
> >http://buildd.debian.org/build.php?pkg=erlang but thay aren't very
> >informative. They show "bus error" which can't help to fix the bug.
>
> A bus error is usually an unaligned access.

I understand that.

The initial message was crossposted to debian-sparc@lists.debian.org too.

> You might also determine whether the bug occurs when you build on
> UltraSPARC III, but run on UltraSPARC II; IOW, whether the problem is
> the build or execution environment.  I can assist with that, if you send
> me a gpg-signed binary.

I can't build it on UltraSPARC III because I don't have an access to
it. The binaries that are built on UltraSPARC II don't work on
UltraSPARC III (It can be concluded from FTBFS of erlang-based
packages (e.g. ejabberd which FTBFS too currently).

I guess you might start building erlang on UltraSPARC III and after
virtual machine is built (executables beam*) you could simply replace
existing binaries from erlang-base (version 11.b.5-8) and try it on
UltraSPARC II. But I'm afraid it's too complicated.

--
Sergei Golovan