Re: Faster shutdown and the ubuntu "multiuser" update-rc.d extention

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 10:10:03AM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> * Gabor Gombas
>
> | On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 12:14:15PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> |
> | > It's fairly common to add a sleep in restart to (try to) deal with
> | > issues such as reopening a socket.
> |
> | But if the listening socket is still open then some apache module may
> | still be doing disk I/O/database access/etc. as well, which means "stop"
> | should wait till apache really quits.
>
> Taking this argument a bit further, do you think that the sshd init
> script should wait until all users have saved their work and logged
> out before it gives control back to the init sequence?

Note this doesn't really work with sshd. The processes handling the
opened connections are still running after a sshd stop. [1]

Cheers

Mike

1. Except on Redhat systems, where the stop script has been doing a a
killall sshd for a quite long time (IIRC this has been fixed). Restart
doing a stop; start sequence, I let you imagine the nice side-effect
this has when doing a restart after a configuration change.