Re: Opinions needed: reporting lintian overrides

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 18:28 +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Russ Allbery (rra@debian.org):
>
> > * Show the N: line with a count of overrides per package by default and
> >   provide an option to suppress this output if someone wants.
> >
> > * Don't show the N: line by default and provide an option to turn it on.
>

> My first reaction would have been supporting the first option. I think
> I have seen too many useless overrides that were soundling like hiding
> the dust under the rug.
>
> Others contributors in this thread seem to think differently and I
> have to admit that their arguments sound fair also. Most seem to be
> easily summarized as "do we trust our fellow DD to do The Right Thing"
> and not abuse overrides......

With the safeguard that the improved lintian website output will include
details of the overrides in use, it should be relatively easy to spot
those occasions when a stale override has been left around and when an
override has been used carelessly. (Hint: stick the lintian bug number
in the override file.) It's probably excessive to *require* bug numbers
in override files. ;-)

--

Neil Williams