Re: Opinions needed: reporting lintian overrides

Hi,

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 08:55:06 +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Jan 2008, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > > Currently on dpkg I have 4 N: lines: one per deb + one for the
> > > .dsc. That clutters the output a bit too much to my taste. And ideally
> > > it should be at the end of the output (or at the beginning) but not
> > > spread in the output.
> >
> > I was going to ask: why does dpkg have (and override lintian warnings for)
> > Bugs and Origin fields?  It's the only package in the archive with those
> > fields set to their default values.
> >
> > redundant-bugs-field (0 packages, 0 tags, plus 3 overrides)
> > redundant-origin-field (0 packages, 0 tags, plus 4 overrides)
>
> Hum... I don't know. It looks like it got added by Wichert Akkerman in
> 2000:
> * Add Origin and Bugs fields to the control file

I guess he did that as a proof of concept, and as a way to document
them through practice.

> And the lintian overrides got added by Guillem last year.

Until recently there was not much documentation about those fields
(there's now few lines in deb-control(5), but still) and not much
usage, I also wanted to keep them for now until knowing what to do
with them. And lintian was being annoying. :)

I've been preparing a proposal to try to make the Origin and Bugs
fields more useful (I think currently they are only used by reportbug)
which could imply including such fields in binary packages for example.
I'll try to send some draft soonish.

regards,
guillem