Re: Opinions needed: reporting lintian overrides

> E.g., this:
>
>  N: samba_3.0.28-2.dsc overrode 4 warnings
>  N: winbind_3.0.28-2_amd64.deb overrode 3 errors, 2 warnings
>  N: smbfs_3.0.28-2_amd64.deb overrode 2 warnings
>  N: samba-common_3.0.28-2_amd64.deb overrode 1 warning
>  N: samba_3.0.28-2_amd64.deb overrode 1 warning
>
> is now half the lintian output for samba, and it's the half that was
> deliberately overridden before /so that/ the remaining problems would be
> more visible :)

Yeah, that's annoying.

> And yes, none of these are overrides to paper over lintian bugs... :)

I dunno, I could make the argument that several of those are lintian bugs.
*grin*

O: samba source: configure-generated-file-in-source debian/config.cache

If you put a config.cache file directly in the debian directory, you
probably know what you're doing and lintian shouldn't be warning about
it.  That tag is designed to catch garbage mistakenly left around by
upstream.  These:

O: samba source: configure-generated-file-in-source packaging/Debian/debian-sarge/config.cache
O: samba source: configure-generated-file-in-source packaging/Debian/debian-unstable/config.cache
O: samba source: configure-generated-file-in-source packaging/Debian/debian-woody/config.cache

are harder, though, and probably are stuck with being overrides at least
for now.

O: winbind binary: no-shlibs-control-file lib/libnss_winbind.so.2
O: winbind binary: no-shlibs-control-file lib/libnss_wins.so.2
O: winbind binary: package-name-doesnt-match-sonames libnss-winbind2 libnss-wins2

The last one is, to my mind, a clear bug in lintian.  nsswitch modules
shouldn't count as shared libraries for that tag; their SONAME is not
something you need to embed in the package name to ease transitions.

I thought we previously talked about shlibs for nsswitch modules in
debian-devel and decided it was a good idea or at least wouldn't hurt, and
libc6's *.shlibs file seems to back me up.  So the first two might be
minor bugs in the package.  Although I have no idea why anyone would ever
link directly against an nsswitch module and doing so is probably a bad
idea, so maybe not having a shlibs file for one is something lintian
should just swallow.

Either way, I don't think the first two should stay as lintian overrides.
Either nsswitch modules should have shlibs entries, in which case samba
should be modified (at a low priority, of course), or they shouldn't, in
which case lintian should shut up about it.

These, of course:

O: smbfs binary: setuid-binary sbin/mount.cifs 4755 root/root
O: smbfs binary: setuid-binary sbin/umount.cifs 4755 root/root
O: samba binary: non-standard-dir-perm var/spool/samba/ 1777 != 0755

are the classic override use case and are just fine as overrides.