Re: Faster shutdown and the ubuntu "multiuser" update-rc.d extention

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> How does it more cleanly shut down X?  That seem to be the logic
> behind providing all the stop scripts in runlevel 0 and 6, just to
> kill a process.  There is nothing magic about sending a signal. :)

xdm's init scripts stops it by sending a TERM, waiting up to 5 seconds
for it to go away, and following with a second TERM. That's different
than sendsigs, which sends a TERM, waits up to 5 seconds and then sends a
KILL. I don't know if this difference is actually significant.

But in the case of xdm, it is significant that it happens as the very
first thing, so you can then watch the rest of the shutdown at the
console (or whatever).

I agree with you about the general case -- most daemons can just be
killed by the general process killer.

--
see shy jo