Re: Faster shutdown and the ubuntu "multiuser" update-rc.d extention

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Andreas Metzler]
> > Is this acceptable according to policy? This will simply discard all
> > local customzations like disabling he service in a special runlevel.
>
> As far as I know, this is the official and supported way.  There is no
> 'move' option in the update-rc.d API, so I am not aware of any other
> way to do it.

I was also worried about this when reading your mail. There's no better
way to do it, but is the data loss small enough that it's not a bug if a
package does it? I know a lot of people re-order xdm to run earlier in
boot. If I were the xdm maintainer, I'd fear the storm of bugs if I did
this and lost their settings[1].

The alternative would be changing the default for new installs, but leaving
existing installs as-is.

--
see shy jo

[1] Really it probably makes sense to explicitly stop xdm during shutdown
    anyway, since that more cleanly shuts down X.