Re: Faster shutdown and the ubuntu "multiuser" update-rc.d extention

[Colin Watson]
> Some packages actually do need to shut down cleanly; in the case of
> a database, for example, such a change could cause data loss. Thus I
> wouldn't recommend changing the default, but perhaps providing a
> more convenient single option to do that common task would be good.

I believe it might make sense to change the default, if it only take
effect for a new debhelper compat value.  Every maintainer is supposed
to check the effects of upgrading the compat value, and we could thus
expect them to check if their init.d script need to run in runlevel 0
and 6.  If they need to stop in runlevel 0 and 6, they can always use
'start 20 2 3 4 5 . stop 80 0 1 6.'.

A new keyword might be a good option too.  multiuser is already taken
and I guess it is expected to mean 'start 20 2 3 4 5 . stop 20 1 .',
so we would want to come up with another one.  Perhaps 'normal', as in
'update-rc.d scriptname normal', to mean 'start 20 2 3 4 5 . stop 80 1
.'?

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen