Re: I hereby resign as secretary

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 03:00:11AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Dec 18, Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
>
> >         I am hereby resigning as secretary, effective immediately. I was
> Good riddance! It's too bad that you did not leave after misleading
> the other developers about "editorial changes".

Marco, please.  Was it really that important?  Really?  Do you realize
how small this quibble is in the grand scheme of things?  We have a
release coming up, an unprecedented opportunity to improve things on
the desktop thanks to Vista, and what you care about is *editorial
changes*?  And you care about it enough to say "good riddance"?

My goodness.  That's like saying "good riddance" to Bill Clinton because he
was driving up the price of cigars.

Couldn't you have expressed a coherent policy argument before the
ballot came out?

Couldn't you accept what has happened now that it has?

Can't you treat people with respect for the good of the project?

> >         While I must say that the mistake for this ballot lies at my
> >  door, I am very distressed at the amount of vitriol that saturates the
> >  project communication channels now. Subjectively, this seems worse now
> I think it's interesting how how much of this can be traced to what I
> defined "DFSG revisionism".

None of it.  Vitriol is a product of people, not of opinions on the
DFSG.

And I say that as one of the staunchest Free Software supporters
here.  (I'm the guy that proposed the first GR to remove non-free, if
you weren't around then.)  I didn't even bother to vote in this one,
and that wasn't Manoj's fault.  It's because I couldn't be bothered to
read the discussion because so much of it was petty, irrelevant,
attacks.

> >  than the flame filled days of yore -- because, back then, despite the
> >  apparent flames, people used to be amicable and friendly with the
> >  people they occasionally had heated discussion with. That seems to have
> This is true. I used to trust the people who worked on Debian and
> enjoyed working with them, but then I felt betrayed and I started to
> despise some developers. Then I realized that feeling emotionally
> attached to an operating system means that your life priorities are
> totally fucked up, so I moved on.

It would not appear to this observer that you have.

Actually, being emotionally attached to a project you have spent years
working with, and the people there, is perfectly healthy and normal.
Letting it drive you to rage is the part that isn't.

-- John