Re: problems with the concept of unstable -> testing

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 12:29:21AM +0100, Didier Raboud wrote:

> Look for example at the upcoming KDE4.2 : KDE4.0 ("public beta") went out in
> january 2008. Since then and 'because' of the unstable-to-testing pipe,
> KDE4.0 has only lived in experimental with the big fat blinking
> red "WARNING" sign above.
>
> KDE4 was then hard to test for "testing" users that don't play with
> apt-pinning and KDE4 will not be part of Lenny (even if it could…), roughly
> 15 months after its release.
>
> That's not a problem from Debian stable users, who need a "stable before
> all" release. But for the FLOSS community and the geeky users, I guess that
> it is in fact a problem.
>
> With a less jungle experimental which you could trust as the unfrozen
> unstable or with a constantly unfrozen unstable, this would not be an
> issue.

Please, next time pick up an example you know better.

KDE 4.0 totally belonged to experimental, 4.1 has never been uploaded to
unstable because lenny was planned to be released with KDE 3.5, and even
there was an update to this series a few months ago.  Furthermore, Lenny
users can test it from http://kde4.debian.net
KDE 4.2 has not being release *yet*.

I encourage you to (co)maintain packages in Debian. It will give you a better
idea of how some stuff works and I think it could change some of the points of
view I have read from you in this thread.

Ana