Re: Packages still depending on GTK+ 1.2

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 22:15:06 +0100
Klaus Ethgen <Klaus@Ethgen.de> wrote:

> Am Sa den  6. Dez 2008 um 21:38 schrieb Daniel Moerner:
> > xmms is gone:
>
> It is still in stable and there are many installations. More than 7000
> in popcon. And there is still no alternative.

Soon to be only in oldstable - sounds about right to me.

If you want it back, please take on the work of migrating it to
Gtk2.0. (Yes, I have already done this for other packages, before you
ask. It isn't easy but it is the only realistic option.) Don't expect
someone else to do it and don't complain if nobody bothers. You think
xmms is so essential, you go and fix it. Simple really. Nobody else
appears to want to do the work. Complaining about it without actually
doing anything about it is just going to make your argument look utterly
redundant. If it's your itch, either you scratch it or you persuade
someone who can. That person will certainly not be me. There has been
more than enough time already. I mean, even GnuCash migrated to Gtk+2.0
in time.

Bit rot has no respect for good intentions, or wishful thinking.

IMHO, Debian is not about collecting ancient software just because it is
free software. A package must deserve a place in the archive or it
should be removed.

Personally, I think there are plenty of alternatives to xmms - I
haven't missed it. If you think different, it is up to you to step up
and do something with the codebase.

--

Neil Williams