Re: screenshots.debian.net

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 10:02:45PM +0200, George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> was heard to say:
> On Monday 17 November 2008 18:13:55 Daniel Burrows wrote:
> >   When the user clicks on a package in the GUI interface, they see the
> > description of the package.  I don't know what sort of load this would
> > impose once the interface is out of "beta", but I'm guessing it's a lot
> > more than you're seeing through the Web service.
> >
> >   I'd like to make good use of this service, but I don't want to turn
> > it into a smoking crater in the process. ;-) I don't really know what
> > image-fetches-per-second translates into at your end, so I guess I'm
> > looking for some guidance.
>
> I'm afraid that such frivoulous image fetching would be magnitude or two more
> heavier to serve than fetching the new packages for today from a local Debian
> mirror(s), since users are more likely to performe the latter once or twice
> per day, but the former any time they feel bored or experiencing a long long
> day ;-)

  I don't think this is "frivolous": for programs that are graphical,
it can be very useful to see what the program looks like before you
run it.

  I'm not surprised that the bandwidth consumption is excessive,
though.  I'll think it over once I figure out why my VteTerminals
self-destruct when I hide them...

  Daniel