Re: screenshots.debian.net

On Samstag, 15. November 2008, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:18:26PM +0100, Christoph Haas wrote:
> > I would love to see the screenshots integrated into
> > packages.debian.org and perhaps they even get used in graphical
> > package managers like synaptic, kpackage, adept or gnome-apt. It is
> > easy to refer to screenshots from your own application or web site.
> > Just use these URLs:
> >
> > Thumbnail (<= 160x120 pixels):
> >   http://screenshots.debian.net/thumbnail/PACKAGENAME
> >   (this URL returns a dummy thumbnail if no screenshot was found)
> >
> > Package's page with all available screenshots:
> >   http://screenshots.debian.net/package/PACKAGENAME
>
> I've a suggestion / feature request for the API. Can you please add
> the equivalent of the thumbnail URL which returns the bigger image?

Yes, Michael Vogt has also requested this. He has already built a feature
into 'synaptic' to load screenshots and asked to have a URL for the large
image. Currently I'm moving things around a little to improve the
performance (the server is way more loaded than I expected) but next on my
list is the API.

> I imagine that there can be applications which want to show first the
> thumbnail and then, e.g. upon click/selection, the bigger version of
> the thumbnail for further user-inspection. Right now, this is possible
> only by either embedding some web-browser widget to show the /package/
> URL, or by spawning an external web browser.

Exactly how Michael argued. :)

> An intermediate level would be good, and I guess it's trivial to add.

Yes, it is. I'll have it done during this weekend.

Cheers
 Christoph
--
A guess is just a guess until you turn it into a pie chart.
Then it's an analysis. (Scott Adams)