Re: screenshots.debian.net

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 10:28:52AM +0100, Christoph Haas wrote:
> I'm about to make the application i18n-savvy. But I'm more thinking of the
> text messages in the web interface than of the screenshots. Screenshots in
> several languages carry very little different information IMHO and don't
> warrant the extra hard disk space and effort to have them on the web
> server. Or am I totally off here? :)

I think it would be pointless to reach a scenario where people are
encouraged to submit the same screenshot for all different
languages. That would be a PITA to maintain and unnecessary in most
cases.

Still, for different alphabets there might be an added value. AFAICT
it is possible that an application looks sensibly different when using
a left-to-right vs a right-to-left language.

Maybe the right solution is support some kind of language tagging to
be associated to each screenshot.

Still, IMO we should refrain to encourage arbitrary screenshot
"translations".

Cheers.