Re: screenshots.debian.net goes beta

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 01:02:42AM +0100, Christoph Haas wrote:
> >  * There are 14 pages and the navigation is truncated to 'Page: 1 2 3 ..
> >    14 >'. Could you (optionally) display links to all pages? Or alter
> >    the number of results per page (increase, or make user configurable)?
>
> I'll change the pager radius to 10. Will be fixed in the next deployment.

Actually, in the long run I don't think it will be a good idea of
having all pages link, but a radius increase is good. Still, assuming
we are going to have screenshot for all packages (which is quite
exaggerated, I agree) a different way of navigating would be
wonderful, perhaps the usual "by first letter", with the addition of
"liba".."libz"? No idea how that should cooperate with page numbers
though.

But this brings me to another idea:

Given how short the current package listing pages are, how about
adding an extra column showing right away in the browsing table the
"most popular" screenshot, with the same super-cool effect which is
then used in the per-package page?  That would add the benefit of
browsing "visually" through packages.  Of course the same could be
done for the search result page.

According to my understanding of the frameworks like Pylons, that
would impact a bit on performances, as you'd have to pre-fetch some
screenshots, but given the current size of lists it can be acceptable,
can't it?

Also, I fail to understand if the screenshots are indexed per
binary-package or per source-package. Given you link to package.d.o I
presume the former, but then have you thought about how to reconcile
screenshots coming from different binary packages? Should they?

> >  * an optional list of packages with screenshots which displayed the
> >    thumbnail would be nice.
>
> You mean a list where each package shows the screenshots right in the list?
> That's a nice idea. Minimizes clicking and loading. Put on the todo list.

Erm, I believe that's the same discussed above, IOW +1.

Cheers.

--
Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
Dietro un grande uomo c'è sempre /oo\ All one has to do is hit the right