Re: screenshots.debian.net goes beta

On Montag, 10. November 2008, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 12:11 AM, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org>
wrote:
> > - You state that screenshot will be released under the same term of
> >  the screenshot-ed package, why so? It seems to me rather arbitrary
> >  and makes impossible to bundle all screenshot together on a media
> >  and distribute them under a consistent license.
> >
> >  Suggestion: just name a license and stick to it.
>
> screenshots are derivative works (according to SPI legal counsel):
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2008/08/msg00016.html

So are we safe as long as we don't include non-free packages and claim that
the screenshots are licensed under the terms of the application itself?
IANAL and find that gibberish from your quoted posting pretty hard to
understand. (It's hard enough to understand legal texts in my native
language.)

 Christoph
--
~