Re: Leverage in licensing discussions

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 20:01 +0000, David Given wrote:

> 1. Some devices require firmware blobs with no source available.
> Because
> of this, such firmware can't be distributed in Debian.

ack.

> 2. For at least some of these devices, even if the source code was
> available it would add no value, because of legal restrictions
> governing
> which firmware blobs can be used on that hardware.

I don't agree with this point: there may be no added value for *most
users* - but if I had the firmware source I could e.g. fix a bug to get
a region the manufacturer had not bothered to certify in to certify the
device. Or open up the power/frequency to ranges I hold a licence to
operate in.

> 3. These devices tend to be quite common and cheap, therefore it would
> be nice if Debian could somehow support them.

ack,

-Rob