Re: Bug reports of DFSG violations are tagged ???lenny-ignore????

On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 22:47 +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 October 2008, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> > I see.  So the previous statement that "nobody is standing in the way"
> > of a fix is simply not so.  People certainly are standing in the way.
>
> That's nonsense. Uncoordinated NMUs are never acceptable for packages that
> are in general actively maintained (which the kernel is), especially not
> when it concerns controversial or technically complex changes [1].
> Doing so would be a violation of basic NMU policy.

The claim was, hey, nobody is stopping anyone from fixing it, if it's
not fixed, it's lame for people to complain, they should have fixed it.

But, in fact, fixes are not welcome from the team.  They have raised a
major roadblock, allowing only one kind of fix which requires a lot of
work, and rejecting anything simpler.

Yes, certainly the team has the right to make such roadblocks if they
think it best, in principle.  But then that's what's happening: they are
standing in the way of implementing a quicker simpler fix.

You can either blame people for not uploading their own fix or prohibit
them from doing so, but you can't do both at the same time.

Thomas