Re: Can a package modify slapd.conf in its maintainer script?

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:18:23PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 10:58:51PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > > You know that parts of the config settings are only supported in the
> > > legacy-format?

> > I've been told that there are certain (uncommon) backends that aren't
> > supported by cn=config, and I'm not surprised to learn that there are some
> > overlays that are unsupported as well.  Do you have a list of these that are
> > of concern to you?

> Not currently. I read it somewhere but as the documentation how to
> configure them via cn=config is completely missing it is not easy to
> find it again. Can you please first fill the gaps in the documentation
> before forcing something underdocumented to everybody?

Well, the decision's been made on the maintainer team to table the cn=config
conversion for lenny (which is the obvious choice given where we are in the
freeze), so we have more time now for this to be sorted upstream before it's
an issue.

> > AFAIK the components that have not yet been ported to cn=config are those of
> > marginal interest, and I don't think they should block us from moving to
> > only support cn=config in the package; users who prefer to stick with
> > slapd.conf will be able to switch back after upgrade, at the expense of not
> > getting automatic config upgrades from the package anymore.

> So you convert it forth, break it during the step.

I'm told that the slapd.conf method is eventually going away upstream, so
it's just a matter of time anyway.

> Some other questions. The cn=config tree is located in
> /etc/ldap/config.d. What happens if I modify that while the daemon is
> running with an editor?

Undefined.

> What happens if I modify it with an editor and per LDAP at the same time?

Also undefined...