Re: Unusual version numbering systems

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 12:51:19PM +0100, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> I have packaged a piece of software [1] which uses a version number
> system which is not compatible with Debian's ordering.
>
> The version numbers go like
>
> 4.1
> 4.12
-> 4.1.2
> 4.2rc<n> -> 4.2~rc<n>
> 4.2
> 4.21
-> 4.2.1
> (maybe 4.3)

> - persuade upstream to change the version numbering

Usually the best version, because most of the distributions have some
version comparision which will break on that versioning.

> - add an epoch each time a new major release comes out (but policy
>   discourages this - see note at the bottom of 5.6.12)

Epochs are to fix errors made in the versioning, not to workaround
well-known problems.

> - package 4.3, if/when it comes along, as 4.30 instead.

- Use your own scheme, you don't need to follow upstream if you have
  reasons to do so.

Bastian

--
Vulcans do not approve of violence.
		-- Spock, "Journey to Babel", stardate 3842.4