Unusual version numbering systems

Hi,

I have packaged a piece of software [1] which uses a version number
system which is not compatible with Debian's ordering.

The version numbers go like

4.1
4.12
4.2rc<n> -> 4.2~rc<n>
4.2
4.21
(maybe 4.3)

So, 4.12 and 4.21 are point releases, and break the ordering.

I would now like to package 4.21, but I'm aware that this leads the way
to problems for 4.3.

As I see it there are three ways to fix this:

- persuade upstream to change the version numbering
- add an epoch each time a new major release comes out (but policy
  discourages this - see note at the bottom of 5.6.12)
- package 4.3, if/when it comes along, as 4.30 instead.

Of these options, the first may not be possible, the second is a bit
ugly, and the third is probably the most confusing in that it invents
version numbers. I think I would prefer the second option, but does
anyone else have any suggestions or pointers to where this sort of
problem has been solved before?

I'm asking now in case there is another option which would require me
doing something different for 4.21.

Thanks,
Dominic.

[1] http://packages.qa.debian.org/m/movabletype-opensource.html