Re: Etch->Lenny upgrade mutes some/many old laptops.

Am Dienstag, 26. August 2008 13:23:35 schrieb Joona Kiiski:
> I decided to give lenny a try and upgraded my old laptop.
> Everything went fine, except for some strange reason, sound didn't work.
>
> After about three hours of trial and error plus some googling, I found
> bug #464191 which is caused by removal of some binary-only driver from
> kernel.

Not the driver, just the firmware.
Using Google with the error message from the kernel log (escape the "-2"), the
second entry would point you to the above bug report.
Did the proposed solution from there work?

> While in principle I agree with the idea of avoiding all binary-only
> stuff, this change is going to cause much trouble for hundreds
> (thousands?) of upgraders and give debian some more "hard to use" and
> "not beginner friendly" reputation.
>
> But if you devs are so fanatic that you really can't live with some
> ten years old binary-only drivers in kernel (I doubt anyone is
> interested in writing open source replacement!), the least you can do
> is document this well in release notes and package those drivers in
> non-free/unofficial.

It should be documented: yes.
But what's your problem? It is the same situation as for so much other
hardware like WLAN, etc. And the sound card is not even essential for booting
or downloading additional software.
And no need to write a driver: it is still there.

HS