Re: disappointed ... APT HowTo removed from sid

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 03:55:11PM +0200, Florian Rehnisch wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I got the news that apt-howto* packages were removed from
> sid (as they were from lenny before).

Yes.  Some basic apt features have been changed and apt-howto author
admits it is not up-to-date.

> Sad to me, because I worked hours to get the german translation
> up-to-date.

Thanks.  As much as you translators worked on updates, the original
author, kov, worked on upstream contents.  So let's thanks him for his
effort.

I have to admit that apt-howto and debian-refernce both encouraged use
of too complicated package combination before using apt_preferences.  I
was reminded by few people previously.  I have recently updated
debian-reference to address this issues and other issues.  Current
contents are based on lenny apt.

Please remember that people can download package from oldstable archive
and web page at http://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#apt-howto

> No chance to revive it?

Since lenny is frozen, I doubts there is no practical path to revive it
for lenny.  If you strongly feel this to be maintained, please take over
and update contents (including English one.)  Then you may be able to
revive in lenny+1.

Osamu

PS: I will appreciate if you can help translate debian-reference.  It
addressed apt system and all other basic things.  Since it went trough
complete rewrite, translation needs to be redone on new English version.
Tentatively, I kept old translations for debian-reference.

 http://packages.qa.debian.org/d/debian-reference.html
 http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/index.en.html
 http://wiki.debian.org/DebianReference

 (Content at http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ needs update)