Re: newer sub package zaps main package instead of waiting

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 06:07:46AM +0800, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
> I used to use aptitude, and even dselect,  but I found one needed to
> use their full screen modes to use them to their full extent, which
> was too exciting for me, so retreated to the simpler apt-get
> dselect-upgrade to stay on top of things, much better than plain
> apt-get upgrade.

You can similarly use aptitude from the command line. I use it
exclusively in place of apt-get any more, with the exception of its
(last I checked) missing "source" and "build-dep" analogues. On sid
and lenny, I frequently run:

aptitude update
aptitude safe-upgrade
aptitude dist-upgrade

(safe-upgrade was just called upgrade on etch).
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); PGP(9E8DFF2E4F5995F8FEADDC5829ABF7441FB84657);
SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); IRC(fungi@irc.yuggoth.org#ccl); ICQ(114362511);