Re: Hardware compatibility test: draft proposal

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> It is done in a installation where PXE installing work, and the first
> step in the compatibility test is to install Debian Edu automatically
> with all questions preseeded.  If installation work, the hard drive
> work.

[...]

Your idea is good, and a simple way to partially test things, yes.

I'd add a pre-run of the Linux firmware kit, and also grep the kernel log
for any ACPI strings.  IMHO, one should reject outright any machines that
outputs any warnings from the firmware kit, unless the vendor promises to
fix it.  Even warnings.  These things come back to bite you later.

  Henrique Holschuh