Re: A tool for tracking masked updates to stable packages

Marcin Owsiany wrote:
> I've just started to do research in order to write a tool which I was
> always missing. What I have so far is just a brief "background"
> information, explaining the problem - see below.

I agree that this is a missing feature ATM: to be able to see at a glance
which packages did not come from the regular repository or have newer
versions than available from registered repositories.

However, I would actually prefer this to be integrated in the regular
package management frontends (e.g. aptitude) rather than a separate tool.

If the source of the package is in /etc/apt/sources.list, it should be
trivial to create a new view and/or informational fields that show where
an installed version comes from: regular archive, security, volatile,
external archive. Or, if there are no matches to show it as locally

If there are multiple potential sources some kind of ordering may be
needed [1] as may handling of CD sets.

[1] 'apt-cache policy <package>' essentially already does ordering