Re: Debian PopCon & Linux Counter: Statistics

Le dimanche 27 juillet 2008, vous avez écrit :
> Thomas Preud'homme wrote:
> > Le dimanche 27 juillet 2008, RalfGesellensetter a écrit :
> >> Dear list,
> >>
> >> today I got a reminder from Linux Counter [1] to update my
> >> registration. Since their announcement in 2001 [2] it seems that
> >> the amount of registered users didn't grow much - as opposed to
> >> the perceived growth of GNU/Linux popularity.
> >>
> >> It is mainly interesting to view statistics on how GNU/Linux is
> >> spreaded over different countries, distros etc. Maybe a
> >> cooperation with Popularity Contest could be of interest,
> >> providing an anonymous auto-registration with this package?
> >>
> >> What do you think? Are you registered yet?
> >> Regards
> >> Ralf.
> >>
> >> [1] http://counter.li.org/
> >> [2] http://www.linux-community.de/Neues/story?storyid=1953
> >>
> >> P.S.: It is quite easy to estimate the real amount of Linux users
> >> within some homogeneous population if you know what proportion of
> >> actual Linux users is registered at li.org.
> >
> > If an anonymous registration is done in popcon package then a
> > debconf dialog should ask the user if he already has an account on
> > counter.li.org
>
> No, the installation of the popularity-contest should be minimal. The
> README.Debian may contain such a pointer and popcon.debian.org or
> other pages of Debian may be ornamented with a link to the linux
> counter.
>
> Steffen

I agree with you. I just answered to make sure if this happen, the
package should not register 2 times the same user. Though a note
somewhere in the package is nice but I don't think it will be of any
help since most users don't read it and it's not related to package
IMO.

I don't know yet the rules concerning the long description of a debian
package but maybe a sentence could be added to recommend users to
create an account on counter.li ?

Regards

--
Thomas Preud'homme