Re: Screenshots of GUI applications (again)

Jon Dowland <jon+debian-devel@alcopop.org> writes:

> I would like to raise the issue of licensing. Is a screenshot a
> derivative work from which it is taken? Could it therefore fall
> under the same license as the parent (or in the case of the GPL,
> have to fall under the same license)?

By my understanding, yes, it could be argued that way.

> I've heard it mentioned that screenshots could be considered quoting
> under "fair use". I'm not sure what fair use grants you and whether
> it preserves DFSG freedoms.

There's no such thing as "fair use" in international copyright
conventions. Different jurisdictions have diverse local-only
implementations of something analogous, but many have no such thing at
all. It's not something that can be relied upon for international use.

--
 \     “I was sad because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no |
  `\       feet. So I said, ‘Got any shoes you're not using?’” —Steven |