Re: FHS and /var/www

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 01:26:09PM +0200, Gabor Gombas wrote:
> "This main purpose of specifying this is so that _users_ may
> find the location of the data files for particular service, ..."
>
> Note how it only talks about users, not the operating
> system/distribution.

Also note that it says "find." If the users/admins put the files
there to begin with, why would they have trouble finding them? If
the OS or its applications had placed files there, then the sentence
makes a little more sense (to me, at least). It's easier to find the
default Web root, for example, under /srv than it is under /var due
to traditional clutter organized by data type rather than
application (cache, lib, lock, log, run, spool...).
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); PGP(9E8DFF2E4F5995F8FEADDC5829ABF7441FB84657);
SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); IRC(fungi@irc.yuggoth.org#ccl); ICQ(114362511);