Please help me make athcool compatible with dependency-based init systems (was: Release Update: freeze, architecture requalification)

Hi,

Disclaimer: I've been pretty busy recently, not giving my Debian
packages the care and love they deserve. That's why I'm now asking for
help, somewhat late...

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 03:35:35PM +0200, Luk Claes wrote:

> * Prepare init.d-Scripts for dependency-based init systems
>
> Wider testing of dependency-based init systems has lead to some new bugs
> for this goal, but the current state looks quite well. We are confident
> that we will have full support for dep-based init system in lenny.

One of my packages, namely athcool installs an init script that is not
yet compatible with dependency-based init systems. For some reason, it
was not detected by automatic systems such as lintian, and no bug was
filed against it, and no-one cared about it yet.

Athcool installs an init script but does not install links to run it on
boot, and that might be the reason why lintian did not notice about it.
(No startup link is installed because athcool causes bad stability
issues on some systems. If one tests it and experiences such problems,
the system is back to a normal state after a reboot.) Someone who is
satisfied with athcool can run update-rc.d (as documented in
/usr/share/doc/athcool/README.Debian) to enable startup links.

I'd like to reproduce a similar behaviour with the headers for
dependency-based init systems, but I know close to nothing about such
systems. I read the corresponding section of the LSB, but it did not
help me much. I guess I could set Default-Start and Default-Stop empty.
But then I have no idea how I would document the enablement of startup
links by the user. Since those keywords are called "Default", I guess
there is a way to override them, but how? Or I think one might change
the Default-Start and Default-Stop keyworks, but then who would they ask
the system to take the change into account?

Any help is welcome, especially as a patch or a NMU, but please don't
forget the documentation issue.

Thanks in advance,

Nicolas

PS: I have no time to read d-devel; please CC replies to me.