Re: FHS and /var/www

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 01:43:12AM +0200, Carl Fürstenberg wrote:
> FHS 2.3 specifies in
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#SRVDATAFORSERVICESPROVIDEDBYSYSTEM
> to use /srv for "Data for services provided by this system", for
> example /srv/www for web root.
> In the policy, the section
> 9.1.1(http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s9.1.1)
> specifies that FHS 2.3 is mandatory, except for some exception, and
> the use of /var/www isn't included in that list.
>
> Should we force all httpd:s to use /srv/www instead of /var/www, or
> should an exception to the policy be added? Per
> http://wiki.debian.org/Apache2LennyGoals it states that apache2 has
> support for /srv/www, but it's still defaulting to /var/www.

Personally, I would be against such a change.

On some systems, I NFS mount parts of /srv (or all of it).  Such is not
the case for /var.  That is, people know better than NFS mount /var.
That guarantee does not exist, since by nature /srv should mountable by
NFS (e.g., for a web cluster, or something like that).

Regards,

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sánchez