Re: [Pkg-xen-devel] Xen status in lenny?

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 05:22:55PM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> One big difference between Xen and KVM is the fact that KVM always requires
> hardware virtualization (HVM) support from the CPU.

It uses the the qemu device emulation code, which is security wise one
large catastrophe. Okay, Xen uses it also for full virtualized guests,
which is the reason why I currently discurage anyone from using it.
However this will change in the near future.

> The biggest advantage of KVM is that it's included in vanilla kernel..

Sure. This is the confession that small patchsets are much more likely
to be accepted than large ones. Xen started long time ago and they drag
a huge patch through the last years without the perspective to get
anything in without much rework.

> Hopefully Jeremy Fitzhardinge (from Xensource) and others can get the
> important Xen kernel features ported to pv_ops framework and integrated
> into vanilla linus kernels soon..

Yep.

Bastian

--
Witch!  Witch!  They'll burn ya!
		-- Hag, "Tomorrow is Yesterday", stardate unknown