Re: [Pkg-xen-devel] Xen status in lenny?

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 12:18:51PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > > What are the plans for Xen for lenny? Is this situation likely to change
> > > before the release?

> > It will ship the hypervisor and a domU kernel. For dom0 it will need
> > either the etch or my own[1] kernel. This may be changed later if we can
> > get a new kernel in the stable release.

> The problem I see with that is that people will be left without a
> supported dom0 kernel at some point during the etch lifetime. Do we have
> a plan to address that? Shouldn't we make it clear that we will support
> the etch kernel until a lenny+1/2 kernel is available, for example?

Which "we" do you expect will support it?  I haven't heard any comments from
the security team indicating that they're willing to provide support for
such a stale kernel beyond the normal support lifetime of etch.  If there
should happen not to be a lenny+1/2 kernel, how long would the security team
be expected to provide security support for 2.6.18?  Until the release of
lenny+1?  Until the end of the *lenny* support cycle?

> Wouldn't it be a good idea to ship a linux 2.6.18 kernel in lenny, only
> for dom0, so it's clear that it is supported?

I think the first question to resolve is to establish that it *is*
supported...