Re: RFC: Removal of user/groups

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 04:56:03PM +0200, Carl Fürstenberg wrote:
> I was thinking of the reusability problem, and came up with the following:
> When an user/group is removed, it's placed in quarantine. That ID
> isn't used unless the same user/group is recreated, or that all other
> possible ID:s is exhausted. For most of the time, that would prevent
> an ID to be used for an other user/group.

Isn't this a standard reference counting problem? When adduser --system
is called, have adduser add the calling package to a list of packages
that own that system user; when deluser is called on a system user,
remove the calling package from the list, and only delete the user if
the list becomes empty.

The difficulty, of course, is how to get there from here ...