Re: Packages not removable because the `/etc/init.d/package stop' fails.

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 10:52:36PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> > Well, it's an RC bug (violation of the must in Policy 9.3.2) for the
> > stop action of an init script to fail if the daemon is not running,
> > which is fairly serious.  I think it could well warrant a stable update
> > if it's causing problems for upgrades to lenny.

> Actually, I take that back -- it's not on the lenny RC bug list, so it's
> possibly not an RC bug.  It would be if Policy and the release goals were
> synchronized and the must stayed in that case, but it's ambiguous right
> now.  If this truly shouldn't be RC, Policy should be changed to make sane
> init script behavior a should instead.

It was ambiguous before the latest policy commit because reasonable people
could disagree about what "sane" behavior of an init script was, but in
practice, bugs that prevent a package from being upgradeable (such as
missing conflicts/replaces, broken maintainer scripts that fail to handle
the previous package version, etc.) have always been considered de facto RC
in the past, regardless of whether they're policy violations.  I don't see
any evidence that the release team has changed this practice for lenny.