Re: Packages not removable because the `/etc/init.d/package stop' fails.

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> Well, it's an RC bug (violation of the must in Policy 9.3.2) for the
> stop action of an init script to fail if the daemon is not running,
> which is fairly serious.  I think it could well warrant a stable update
> if it's causing problems for upgrades to lenny.

Actually, I take that back -- it's not on the lenny RC bug list, so it's
possibly not an RC bug.  It would be if Policy and the release goals were
synchronized and the must stayed in that case, but it's ambiguous right
now.  If this truly shouldn't be RC, Policy should be changed to make sane
init script behavior a should instead.