Re: Policy or best practices for debug packages?

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 06:01:15PM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 05:42:47PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> > I think they do this, using "debugedit".  We (CodeSourcery) do it for
> > our libraries too.  It's incredibly useful - but very spoiling; every
> > time I'm without the automatic debug sources and source paths I get
> > grumpy about it.
>
> <WANT>
>
> Where can you find "debugedit"?  I did a google search and it looks
> like Gentoo as packaged it, and it looks like it might be an auxiliary
> program inside the rpm source packages?  Is that what you were
> referring to?

Yes, that's the one.

For various reasons we don't use it at work - instead we added some GCC
command line options to relocate the debug info at compile time.  In
the end, it comes down to the same result.

> So in order to do this, we would need hack the debian/rules file to
> create a <foo>-dbgsrc package which contains a copy of the source tree
> after a successful build (but with all of the generated binary files
> stripped out).  We would also need to agree on a standardized location
> where the *-dbgsrc files would install the source trees --- something
> like /usr/lib/debug/usr/src, perhaps?  And then we would need to use
> the debugedit tool to edit the dbg files to point at the sources in
> /usr/src/lib/usr/src (or where we decide to have the *-dbgsrc packages
> install the source files).

I think /usr/src/debian/ would be traditional.  It really doesn't make
a difference, though :-)

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery