Re: Policy or best practices for debug packages?

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 05:42:47PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> I think they do this, using "debugedit".  We (CodeSourcery) do it for
> our libraries too.  It's incredibly useful - but very spoiling; every
> time I'm without the automatic debug sources and source paths I get
> grumpy about it.

<WANT>

Where can you find "debugedit"?  I did a google search and it looks
like Gentoo as packaged it, and it looks like it might be an auxiliary
program inside the rpm source packages?  Is that what you were
referring to?

> I wouldn't want them in the archive for everything, but it would be
> nice to be able to generate automatically usable source packages.
> Also debug packages without having to create them in debian/control
> and debian/rules.  That would enable build daemons to generate and
> stash the packages somewhere if we decide to make them available.

So in order to do this, we would need hack the debian/rules file to
create a <foo>-dbgsrc package which contains a copy of the source tree
after a successful build (but with all of the generated binary files
stripped out).  We would also need to agree on a standardized location
where the *-dbgsrc files would install the source trees --- something
like /usr/lib/debug/usr/src, perhaps?  And then we would need to use
the debugedit tool to edit the dbg files to point at the sources in
/usr/src/lib/usr/src (or where we decide to have the *-dbgsrc packages
install the source files).

I guess depending on the package, the *-dbgsrc file could either be
architecture independent, or if some of the generated source files
contain arch-specific information, they could end up being
architecture dependent files.

And we definitely would want to serve these up in a different archive
that our standard binary packages, since this would be a *lot* of
data.  It's probably less important that they get mirrored, though,
since it's likely that far fewer users would actually need the -dbg
and -dbgsrc packages.

Am I missing something, or is that all that's necessary to "bell the
cat"?  :-)

						- Ted